Tuesday, April 14, 2009

For the Music or Money?




Music has definitely changed today, I think that more and more musicians are just in the field to make money or build popularity. Mainly rappers but there is also pop artists that make it hard for the real musicians to get any type of notice. "Ringtone rappers" especially these artists are known for coming up with a catchy song either it be a dance song or just a one hit wonder that aim to get the coveted Billboard top ringtone sales which is really stupid. I just don't know if they are taking music seriously people like the GS  Boyz  that are known for the song "stanky leg" probably will be known for this one and only song which makes me a little mad that real rappers like MF Doom that is a good rapper is overlooked. The only exception is probably Soulja Boy because he is the only one to keep making hits and even if they are not dance songs. I' m not saying that he is a good rapper but he is very marketable and people respond well to his songs especially teens. But teens these days I think are being exposed to bad music because it is popular. People that are disney channel stars or nickelodeon actors believe that they can become musicians to get more exposure and or money. People like Miley Cyrus who was like an overnight sensation for her television show has capitalized on it by using her T.V. show from clothes to albums to candy bars? She is even in movies but I just don't think that artists like these should be appreciated by anyone. I believe that there might be a bright future in the industry if there can be more up and coming artists like Santogold, Lykke Li, or Drake. These artists are versatile and have that ability to appeal to the younger audience. 

3 comments:

  1. I truely understand where you are coming from with people making music that is ridiculous. I felt the same way when I heard the "stanky leg" song...WOW! Was my response. Songs like these are just a joke. Just like the song "Leggings and Heels" that I've recently heard. People are now making songs with no meaning, and it's a shame that they are being passed as music. In that case I could come out with a song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean people these days are only focusing on money, like lil wayne. He's not even focusing on the lyrics, he sound so bad. and yah "stanky leg" man i dont know about that. Now music is all almost techno-ish especially in the hip-hop / rap side of music because their focusing on the society of what they want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah most definitly i was nactually thinkin about coming out with a stupid dance move song to see if i can get mainstream. But Lil Wayne has changed his style of rap and lyrics because i believe hen he collaborates it depends on the amount he gets paid and he will bring better verses the more he is paid because his name alone on a track people automatically want to listen to it. I believe that the whole techno type of hip-hop is just to try to expand the audience. Im not going to lie though I kinda like it from certain artists. People like Kanye or sometimes Lil Wayne but people like gucci mane and gorilla zoe shouldn't be even touching anything techno or auto-tune.

    ReplyDelete